Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Memories

Jan. 21, 2020  L. Bacon

I own one of the largest collections of "DVDs" in the world, my memories. We are currently house/pet sitting at a lovely home, six miles east of the little town of Rogue River, OR. It has wood heat which requires re-setting the fire each morning. We also have an old fashioned coffee pot. This morning after getting my fire going and tuning on the coffee, I sat down and smelled the coffee, literally! Add in the fragrance of a new fire in the stove and I was transported back to 1944. My mother had passed away and my father was away in the war so my sister, Mary, and I were living with my Grandparents in Crawford, Nebraska. They  had two large Regulator wall clocks, one in their bedroom and the other one just outside my bedroom. They chimed on the quarter, half and full hour so that everyone knew what time it was. They were not synchronized so they often competed with each other!! My Grandmother arose each morning to light a fire in her enormous kitchen range and to put the coffee on and start breakfast with sausage or bacon. I awoke to those sounds and smells each morning and felt comforted. As I returned to the present, I was astounded at the intensity of the memory, sights, sounds, smells and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awareness and Presence

From the time we are born our clocks starts ticking away..... the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years of our lives. If we are lucky e...